Welcome to issue 29 of Hacker Bits!
A quick note before we dive into this issue...
The FBI recommends everyone to reboot their routers due to a malware called VPNFilter.
You can read more about VPNFilter on the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3):
Back to our regular programming...
We have a fantastic selection of articles this month covering machine learning, game development, impostor syndrome, GDPR, interviewing and so much more!
As always, we'd love any suggestions or feedback, so hit reply and let us know. 🙂
– Ray and Maureen
- Google's guide for becoming a Software Engineer
- What SSH Hacking Attempts Look Like by Doug Rickert
- The Various Kinds of IO – Blocking, Non-Blocking, Multiplexed and Async by Didier A.
- Understanding Machine Learning: From Theory to Algorithms by Shai Shalev-Shwartz and Shai Ben-David
- CSCI E-23a: Introduction to Game Development by Colton Ogden and David J. Malan
- Software Testing Anti-patterns by Kostis Kapelonis
- You probably don't need AI/ML. You can make do with well written SQL scripts by Celestine Omin
- Programmers: Before you turn 40, get a plan B by John Fuex
- Is there a fix for impostor syndrome? by Elizabeth Churchill
- Never Write Your Own Database by Terry Crowley
- Apple open-sources FoundationDB
- Things I Learned from a Job Hunt for a Senior Engineering Role by J. Scott Johnson
- Tech’s Two Philosophies by Ben Thompson
- What technical recruiters want from engineering candidates by Lynne Tye
- GDPR: Don't Panic by Jacques Mattheij
Like what you read?